Listed in Proofreaders / Editors
I’m a freelance proofreader and I’m committed to providing an efficient and effective service. I work mainly with students, healthcare professionals, academic researchers and research groups but I’m happy to work with businesses, authors, self-publishing authors or indeed anyone else who needs a proofreader!
Proofreading is defined by the Society for Editors and Proofreaders as ‘a process of identifying typographical, linguistic, coding or positional errors on printed or electronic proofs’. In other words, I will help you to ensure that your work is logical and clear before publication or submission by:
• correcting spelling mistakes or typos, and errors of grammar and punctuation
• determining your style, making sure that it is consistent and compiling my own style guide if required (or following an editor’s style guide if this is available)
• checking that the meaning of your text is clear and making minor corrections to ensure this, or pointing out to you where larger changes are needed
• ensuring that the page sequence is complete and checking any other numbered or alphabetised materials
• identifying textual, typographical or design inconsistencies and correcting or highlighting these, and making suggestions about possible solutions where appropriate
• ensuring that the contents page matches the body of the text
• ensuring that running heads are correct according to the chosen style
• checking for consistency of style in headings
• checking overall page design and identifying undesirable word breaks as well as orphans and widows, and ensuring logical placement of illustrations and tables
• ensuring that footnotes and references are correctly organised
Following a career in laboratory medicine I tend to specialise in biomedical and healthcare-related sciences but I’m happy to work with other subjects too. Specialist areas I cover include:
• any matters relating to the practical or theoretical aspects of diagnostic laboratory work with direct experience of the disciplines of biochemistry, pathology, molecular pathology and genetics (this includes experience of health and safety, risk assessment and quality control)
• anatomy, physiology, pathology and disease processes (particularly cancer), biochemistry, histopathology, cytopathology, molecular pathology, cytogenetics and molecular genetics, immunology, microbiology and virology, molecular biology
• any material that requires an understanding of biomedical and medical terminology, and any material relating to matters of healthcare.
In addition to my training I have experience of proofreading the following both for English speakers and for those with English as a second language:
• job applications and CVs
• healthcare-related pro-formas and annual reports
• portfolio entries for biomedical scientists working towards the IBMS Registration Training Portfolio and the IBMS Specialist Diploma
• essays and reports
• dissertations and PhD theses
• pre-publication academic papers written by academic researchers and research groups
Subject areas I have worked with include the following:
• a wide variety of scientific subjects including biochemistry, chemistry, biomedical science, fertility issues, pathology, genetics and biochemistry in pregnancy
• media studies and event studies
• audio production
• research into care for people with dementia
• interior design
• leisure studies and tourism studies
I have received a certificate of distinction from the Publishing Training Centre, London, for their industry-recognised Basic Proofreading course.
There are further details about my service on my website at www.kodproofreading.co.uk where you can also find testimonials from my customers.
I am an Intermediate Member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders and I abide by their code of practice.
If you have any questions or would like any more information, please don’t hesitate to contact me via email or my website, or by using the ‘Contact Listing Owner’ button at the top of this page.
We asked Karen to proof-read a complex and lengthy report we produced for the public sector. Her feedback was comprehensive and high quality – and has made a great improvement on the final polish of the report. Look forward to working with her again and recommend her highly! Thanks.
I have used Karen on a number of occasions and she always provides a professional and friendly service. Karen is reliable and responds quickly to enquiries, always willing to be flexible according to my deadlines. I would highly recommend choosing Karen for any proofreading job – the quality of her work is first class. For me it was a bonus that she has a scientific background giving her an edge when it came to my work.