Barrett Business Communications provides a wide range of English language services worldwide, based on the written word.
This includes high quality web content and promotional copy for conventional print media, based on a specific brief and directed at an identified audience or audiences.
Copyediting services are undertaken for publishing houses and self-publishers, while journalistic services are provided in trade and professional publications.
Clients range from public companies to small businesses, along with government agencies, universities, academics and students.
Work is frequently undertaken for clients whose first language is not English.
Full details of experience, qualifications and areas of expertise, along with details of recent projects are provided in the professional profile section.
Services are delivered in British English and American English.
Dermott Barrett – Barrett Business Communications
BA (Hons), University College Dublin
Diploma, Plain English Campaign (London)
Dip. Advertising (Dublin)
Cert. Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) (UK)
Member of the Association of Freelance Editors Proofreaders and Indexers (AFEPI) in Ireland
Member of the Society of Freelance Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP) in the UK
Certified Member of the Institute of Internal Communication (UK)
Copywriter, editor, plain English specialist, rewriter, ghostwriter, blogger and project manager from concept through design to print/online content. I also write articles for trade and professional journals and undertake public relations campaigns in selected media, including writing releases and negotiating with relevant journalists to realise specific objectives.
My writing/editorial skills may be applied to a wide range of subjects and business sectors, but environmental issues, history, contemporary visual art, art history, health, linguistics, tourism, finance, business, accountancy, insurance, law, corporate communications, education and marketing would be areas of special interest and experience.
I commenced my career in advertising and later worked as a freelance writer and consultant before joining the major international accounting and consultancy firm KPMG as head of communications and publications, where I remained for over a decade before setting up my own public relations/communications consultancy – Barrett Business Communications.
Although primarily a sole practitioner working independently, I frequently work as an editorial consultant as part of a team, including researchers, authors, technical professionals, digital and print designers and publishers.
I frequently work with academics, students and publishers around the world whose first language is not English in the preparation of material for publication.
I work as a plain English consultant and editor for government departments and the Health Service Authority (HSE) in Ireland, and as a freelance copyeditor for commercial publishing companies and self-publishing individuals.
Some clients/recent projects
• Regular freelance copy editor with Irish Academic Press (Ireland) and The History Press (UK).
(A list of books can be supplied on request)
• University College Cork – writing of website content – http://georgeboole200.ucc.ie
(This website was shortlisted for the Irish Website Awards 2014).
• Food Safety Promotions Board – annual report and corporate literature.
• Merrion Square Interiors, writing content for high quality scented candles, sold online and in the Irish Georgian Shop in Dublin at:
https://shop.igs.ie (scroll down and click on candle images)
• DesignLight — website content for high-quality specialists, completed October 2018 – www.designlight.com
• Articles for Luxury Hospitality Magazine and Irish Medical Journal.
• Public relations campaign in the business press for Tixserve Limited in July 2018.
• Public relations campaign for Zoosh Ventures in the business press, September 2018.
• Acting as editor on the publication of a high-budget corporate history of the Irish company, Jones Engineering Group (Copy supplied on request).
• Acting as publisher of an extensive book on footcare, including responsibility
for editing and rewriting, international copyright cleanance, typesetting, design,
printing and media promotion.
• Copyediting of manual on orthodontics (translated from Italian) for SMC Media Srl
• African Logistics Port Hub Association (ALPHA). Writing content for website
Also writing business proposals and other communications material for this company, where I will be the editor of their digital magazine Port Hub when it launches at the end of 2018.
Contact details – Barrett Business Communications
Address: 3 Royal Terrace West, Dun Laoghaire, County Dublin, Ireland.
Phone: 00353 1 567 2219/00353 86 2577864