Listed in Proofreaders / Editors
I’m a freelance proofreader and copy-editor and I’m committed to providing an efficient and effective service. I work mainly with academic materials but I’m happy to work with authors, self-publishing authors or indeed anyone else who needs a proofreader!
Proofreading and copy-editing are about making the path between the reader and the author’s message as smooth and clear as possible.
I can provide different levels of editing depending on your particular needs. This can be ensuring correct spelling, grammar and punctuation or a more in-depth edit, making sure that your text is clear, consistent, appropriate and concise, assessing tone and style and looking at more technical matters such as layout, references, footnotes, illustrations, tables, captions, and heading styles and hierarchies.
Another pair of eyes will help to make sure that your message or ideas are conveyed effectively to your readers.
Following a career in laboratory diagnostics I tend to specialise in biomedical and healthcare-related sciences but I’m happy to work with other subjects too. Specialist areas I cover include:
• any matters relating to the practical or theoretical aspects of diagnostic laboratory work with direct experience of the disciplines of biochemistry, pathology, molecular pathology and genetics
• anatomy, biochemistry, cytogenetics, cytopathology, histopathology, molecular biology, molecular genetics, molecular pathology, pathology and disease processes (particularly cancer), physiology
• any material that requires an understanding of biomedical and medical terminology, and any material relating to matters of healthcare.
In addition to my training I have experience of working with the following both for English speakers and for those with English as a second language:
• academic book manuscripts for publication with Routledge and Taylor & Francis
• dissertations and PhD theses
• essays and reports
• healthcare-related pro-formas and annual reports
• job applications and CVs
• portfolio entries for biomedical scientists working towards the IBMS Registration Training Portfolio and the IBMS Specialist Diploma
• pre-publication academic papers written by academic researchers and research groups.
Subject areas I have worked with include the following:
• a wide variety of scientific subjects including biochemistry, biochemistry in pregnancy, biomedical science, chemistry, fertility studies, genetics and pathology
• audio production
• carceral practices
• Chinese culture
• construction management
• interior design
• leisure studies and tourism studies
• media studies and event studies
• museum theatre
• nationalism and internationalism
• online learning environments.
I have received a certificate of distinction from the Publishing Training Centre, London, for their industry-recognised Basic Proofreading course.
There are further details about my service on my website at www.kodproofreading.co.uk where you can also find testimonials from my customers.
I am an Intermediate Member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders and I abide by their code of practice.
If you have any questions or would like any more information, please don’t hesitate to contact me via email or my website, or by using the ‘Contact Listing Owner’ button at the top of this page.
We asked Karen to proof-read a complex and lengthy report we produced for the public sector. Her feedback was comprehensive and high quality – and has made a great improvement on the final polish of the report. Look forward to working with her again and recommend her highly! Thanks.
I have used Karen on a number of occasions and she always provides a professional and friendly service. Karen is reliable and responds quickly to enquiries, always willing to be flexible according to my deadlines. I would highly recommend choosing Karen for any proofreading job – the quality of her work is first class. For me it was a bonus that she has a scientific background giving her an edge when it came to my work.