- 4 Alma Point, 50 Church Road, London E10 5JH
I’m a professional proofreader and copy-editor, providing high quality editorial and writer services to academics, students and independent authors.
I operate two businesses: Academic Outcomes offers support for academic writing; and Crayon Rouge Editorial Solutions is designed for independent, self-published and hybrid authors of fiction and non-fiction.
My services include:
- Proofreading to check spelling, punctuation, syntax and grammar
- Copy-editing to improve expression, diction and style, including appropriate phrasing and terminology
- Developmental editing to improve structure and organization (for academic and non-fiction projects)
- Beta reading for fiction and non-fiction
- Formatting to prepare texts for publication (either digital or traditional)
- Reference- and fact-checking services
For all potential projects, I provide an initial FREE consultation in order to discuss a client’s requirements, to prepare a quote, and to give a client the opportunity to assess whether I am suitable for the project.
- * * * * *
- Fifteen years’ experience of proofreading and editing
- Intermediate member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders
- Background in academia as a university lecturer and researcher
- BA with First Class Honours in History; MA; PhD
- Independent author with one self-published novel, and experience of collaborating with other independent authors
- * * * * *
- Academic Outcomes
- Bespoke editorial solutions for academic writing in the humanities and social sciences
- Proofreading and editing for student essays and dissertations (both undergraduate and postgraduate), and doctoral theses; editorial assistance for scholarly articles and monographs
- Informed by my extensive experience of setting and marking university assignments, and supervising and examining dissertations and theses, as well as my role as a tutor and lecturer providing both essay-writing classes and tutorial support for individual students
- Mentoring and tutoring service available to help students with academic writing
- UCAS Personal Statement service available, based on my experience as an Undergraduate Admissions Tutor
- * * * * *
- Crayon Rouge Editorial Solutions
- Editorial services for independent, self-published and hybrid authors
- Suitable for most genres of non-fiction and fiction
- A package of services, from developmental editing to final formatting, tailored to the individual requirements of the author
- Thorough but sensitive editing that respects the author’s voice and vision
- Can prepare manuscripts for publication in digital form (e.g. on KDP or Smashwords) or as a print-on-demand book (e.g. via CreateSpace or IngramSpark)
- Informed by my experience of independent authorship and of working with other self-published writers
I did extensive searches and received multiple quotes to locate someone to work with for my PhD thesis in education. I am eternally grateful that I found Stephen. The price quoted was very reasonable and he went above and beyond all of my expectations. The final stages of a PhD are stressful but with the support and professionalism from Stephen I was able to submit my thesis. He kept me up to date with his progress on the edits and was always available for questions. It was also helpful that he has completed his own PhD so he could relate really well to my stresses and worries. My only regret is that I did not work with him earlier in the PhD process. Do not hesitate to get in touch with Stephen as I am certain that you will not be disappointed! I will indeed be looking to work with him again on future projects.
I can’t recommend using Stephen Pigney’s editing services enough. Regarding my personal statement, he had an excellent eye for detail while also making it sound much more eloquent and generally much better! He undoubtedly contributed to me getting an offer from Cambridge so thank you!
An extremely helpful proofreader that went above and beyond. I was very surprised by the level of quotes I receieved from the site, but I knew instantly that Stephen was a likeminded individual that would get my book and what I was hoping to achieve. Stephen kept in contact with me and was able to do the work in the timeframe he had proposed. Stephen made the necessary adjustments for me to review and also gave me lots of other helpful advice. I would definitely use Stephen again, a very happy customer!
Excellent and highly recommended. Efficient, clear and very helpful. Thank you Stephen.