Opportunities for academic editors specialising in engineering0
One of our advertisers, Cactus Communications Pvt. Ltd (www.cactusglobal.com), are a leading language services company providing editorial services to over 43,000 customers in 107 countries. Cactus offer academic editing, medical communications, publication support, transcription, and training services to individuals and corporations across sectors such as academia, publishing, and pharmaceuticals.
The company are currently looking for experienced freelance editors for their copy-editing and substantive editing services.
Working as a Cactus freelance editor will enable you to apply your expert knowledge and English language skills to provide effective scientific communication. Cactus’ stringent recruitment process ensures that only the best editors are chosen. Once selected, all freelance editors receive the necessary information and support from Cactus’ managing editors, reviewers, and trainers on an ongoing basis.
Cactus freelance editors need to fulfil the following criteria:
- Exceptional command over the English language including punctuation, grammar and idiomatic expressions
- A minimum of two years’ experience of journal article editing
- Expertise in one or more of the following subjects: Engineering (civil, mechanical, aeronautical, and automobile), Electronics Communications, Wireless Communications, Chemistry, Nuclear/Atomic Physics, Electronics, Sensors, Image Processing, Computer Science, Mathematics, Modeling/Simulation, Environmental Science, Energy, Sustainability, Materials Engineering, Remote Sensing, Hydrology, Metallurgy, Atmospheric Science, Optics, and Photonics
One or more of the following will be preferred:
- A postdoctoral/doctoral degree
- A certificate/diploma in academic editing, publishing, scientific communication, journal article writing
- Experience in working with ESL (English as a second language) manuscripts
- Familiarity with the style and conventions followed in academic writing
- BELS certification
Job Responsibilities, Copy-editor
You will be required to edit research papers to ensure
- correct sentence structure, word choice, grammar, and punctuation
- conformance to native English standards
- consistency in the use of terminology
- Check the basic format of the manuscript to ensure consistency in layout, presentation of citations, number style representation, etc.
- Format the manuscript as per client specifications (journal guidelines, etc.), if any.
A copy-editor’s role will not always be restricted to “cleaning copy.” You may also need to edit heavily at times to remove all awkward/convoluted expressions. The final document must be error free and must conveyo the author’s intended meaning.
Job Responsibilities, Substantive editor
In addition to performing a copyedit, a substantive editor
- makes structural changes, ensuring that the content is well organized and that the tone is appropriate
- drafts a cover letter for the author and provides a short report on the quality of the original document
- revises the document based on the client’s inputs if necessary
- Cactus screen your CV/resume and check whether your profile meets our requirements.
- They ask you to take a short editing exercise.
- You hear from Cactus within one week of submitting your completed test.
- If selected, Cactus sign a contract and confidentiality agreement with you.
- Once the paperwork is done, you’re on board and read to go.
Please note: Since this is a freelance position, hours are flexible.
You can find out more about Cactus and the job requirements here:
Interested in applying? Then upload your CV and cover letter here: