Opportunities for Freelance Technical Editors0
This is an advertisement on behalf of one of our advertisers, Cactus Communications, Inc.
Cactus Communications, Inc. is a global scientific communications company serving more than 60,000 clients across 116 countries offering editing, translation, medical writing and other services to researchers, academic journals, and companies worldwide. The mission at CACTUS is to facilitate better research, communication, and collaboration in academia and the sharing of scientific knowledge. We employ a global team of experienced editors, who are experts in various academic fields. We’re currently looking for specialist contractual copyeditors and substantive editors. Here’s what we’re looking for in applicants:
- Exceptional command of the English language: grammar, punctuation, and idiomatic expressions
- At least two years of experience with editing scientific manuscripts
- At least PhD/Masters’ degree and expertise in one or more of the following subjects:
Engineering (all disciplines), Biomechanics, Controls and Systems, Electronics, Electrical Engineering, Water Science & Engineering, Nature & Landscape Conversation, Pollution, Environmental Engineering, Nuclear Energy, Nuclear/Polymer Chemistry, Physical/ Computational Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Applied Chemistry, Materials Science, Metallurgy, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, Optics, Mineralogy, Remote Sensing, Climate Science, Earth Sciences One or more of the following are preferred:
- Experience with academic writing/editing, publishing, and scientific communications
- Experience working with ESL (English as a second language) authors and their written materials
- Familiarity with the style and conventions of scholarly writing
- Familiarity with TeX/LaTeX editing software
Our editors are assigned work in their area of expertise, and compensation is based on the manuscript length and the service level they have been signed up for, viz. copyediting or substantive editing. Editors can choose their preferred job hours, and can indicate availability on our system. The assignments are typically research manuscripts of varying levels of difficultly; many of our clients have an ESL background, so copyediting may not always be restricted to “cleaning copy.”
Note: Since these are freelance positions, and NOT employment, job hours are flexible. Also, since we receive a huge number of applications, we get back to only shortlisted applicants.
To apply: Please email your CV along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.