Listed in Proofreaders / Editors
An experienced provider of editing and proofreading services to non-fiction publishers and other businesses. I’m an Advanced Professional Member of the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP), with an extensive record of training and continuing professional development.
✅ How I can help you
I can work with Word and PDF documents, and can edit or proofread most kinds of written material – for example:
• Business reports
• Marketing material, website content, blog posts
• Newsletters, magazines
• Business editing – helping to ensure your business’s written material is clear, concise, readable, suited to your target audience, and free of errors in spelling, grammar and punctuation
• Editing into plain English
• Web content editing
• Copy-editing and proofreading of books, magazines and other publications
• Creating and revising style guides
I’ve edited or proofread over 40 books, over 90 business reports and many other items. You can find a summary of my customers and what I’ve done for them here.
📚 Specialist subjects
• Information technology: systems analysis | software development | testing | user support | project management | quality assurance
• Sport and its history, especially football and cricket
• Rock and pop music
I had a 26-year IT career as an analyst, developer, project manager and team leader, in the transport, financial services, government, telecoms and retail sectors.
👨🎓 Education and training (selected)
• Loughborough University: BSc (Hons) in Data Processing, 1987
• PRINCE2 (project management) accreditation at Foundation level
• Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP – now the CIEP): Introduction to Proofreading | Introduction to Copy-editing | Proofreading Progress | Copy-editing Progress | Mentoring for Proofreading | Mentoring for Copy-editing | Efficient Editing | Editing Digital Content | Plain English for Editors
• Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP): Web Editing
• Publishing Training Centre (PTC): Basic Proofreading | Copy-editing (both passed with Merit)
• Online Content Training: Online Content – Writing and Editing Skills
You can find these here.
I usually work for a fixed fee, agreed in advance, but can also agree on an hourly rate when suitable. Please see here for details of how to get a quote.
🙋♂️ Get in touch
To ask for a quote, or to find out more about what I can do for you, you can:
📄 use the contact form on this page
📧 email me at [email protected] or
📱 phone me on 07851 433505.
You can also find me on LinkedIn.
Graham Hughes | Chester, UK
I work for a graphic design agency who are constantly producing menus for hospitality clients. Graham helps us with copy checking our work and does a fantastic job every time. He is extremely thorough and has an extensive knowledge of the english language and we feel very comfortable putting our work in his hands. Since our work is very brand-focused we often have brand guidelines that we need to abide by. Graham takes the time to cross reference our work with any brand guidelines we send him and flags up any inconsistencies for us. He is happy to send us amends in whichever format suits us best, his comments are always perfectly clear and he is always happy to answer any questions we may have regarding any amends to aid our own education. We have used a lot of copy checkers in the past but Graham definitely stands out as the best we have used.
As Senior Editor as a London-based content marketing agency, I have used Graham for a wide range of projects, ranging from magazines, to web pages and research reports. His work has consistently been accurate, comprehensive and insightful. Graham’s can-do attitude and efficient approach makes him a valuable asset to any publishing enterprise.
I’m very happy with the proofreading work that Graham did for my +5,000 word essay on software processes. He didn’t only meet a very tight deadline, but also managed to do a very careful job and provide me with helpful feedback.