Listed in Proofreaders / Editors
- 21 Sunningdale Drive, Felixstowe, Suffolk,UK
Proofreading for confidence to publish, value for money, tailored to suit you? Talk to me. I can probably help.
Hello. I am a freelance proofreader and copy-editor based in Felixstowe, Suffolk. My specialist areas are IT, the humanities, scientific and technical material, but I also have a particular interest in art history, English Literature, genetics and ornithology. Generally, I am very comfortable with, and enjoy handling, any subjects or disciplines, especially new ones!
In a career of over 35 years, when the reputation of the organisations I represented required exceptional attention to detail, I was responsible for writing, editing and proofreading many types of material: in the public sector for government agencies; in the private sector for organisations engaged in commercial law, petrochemicals, mobile telecoms, customer contact, financial services, electricity measurement, manufacturing, IT, healthcare, and newspaper and magazine publishing.
I have been responsible for the creation, or assuring the quality of, thousands of documents of many different types including technical papers, marketing material, international standard quality system manuals, Microsoft Powerpoint presentations, spreadsheets, and websites, frequently cross-checking notes, figures, references and indices. My work in the educational arena includes the copy-editing and proofreading of an M.Sc. degree dissertation in occupational psychology.
I have reviewed and approved scientific documents about pollution, invasive species, genetics, processes, procedures, financial fact-finding web pages, leaflets and flyers for a public campaign. I am experienced in both American and UK English and have been trained in the use of plain English, for example in ensuring that a government agency website is providing easy access to public services. Having worked in the US, South Africa, Italy, France, Austria with multi-national corporations I also have had wide extensive of working non-native English speakers.
Now as a full-time freelance proofreader and copy-editor of:
– marketing material such as website content, brochure or flyers,
– technical papers for publication in an academic journal or magazine where you need the correct technical language spelling and plain English for the non-technical phrasing,
– essays, theses and dissertations,
– Powerpoint presentations and Excel spreadsheet text (but not formulae & calculations!),
– CVs and personal statements,
… and working on screen or paper with Microsoft Word Track Changes, BSI proof correction mark-up or PDF editing I will:
– look for consistency in usage, presentation and accuracy in text, images and layout,
– use care and judgement and my skill, knowledge and experience, to identify any grammar, punctuation and spelling errors that have slipped through previous rounds of editing,
– check for bad line or page breaks and that formatting is consistent,
– check for consistent page headings and numbering, illustration captions and labels, and cross-references,
– check for less obvious inconsistencies in the use of different font, face and size combinations.
Please visit me at www.jeremyratcliffeproofreader.com to find out more or enquire about a quotation.
110% satisfaction with Jeremy’s proofreading services
Jeremy Ratcliffe brilliantly mastered proofreading my new book: “The Cinematic VR Formula”.
It was the great combination of his wealth of experience in the IT industry and his sharp eye that made my book so much better.
Jeremy brought some creative approaches to the table to agree on a good setup for our collaboration.
Our conversations were pure pleasure. The tracking of his suggested changes and comments were very effective.
Jeremy delivered quickly and earlier than promised at a competitive price. I definitely will work with him again and am happy to recommend Jeremy for your next important proofreading job.”
Chuck Ian Gordon, Author and Producer