- United Kingdom
Cactus Communications Pvt. Ltd. (www.cactusglobal.com) is a pioneering language services company serving more than 33,000 clients across 95 countries. In line with its mission—growth through effective communication, Cactus offers specialist academic editing, medical communications, publication support, transcription, and training services to individuals and corporations across sectors such as academia, publishing, and pharmaceuticals. We are looking for experienced editors to work with us on a freelance basis for our copyediting and substantive editing services.
Here’s what you need to become a Cactus freelance editor:
– Exceptional command over the English language—grammar, punctuation, and idiomatic expressions
– At least two years of experience in editing journal articles
– Expertise in one or more of the following subjects: Engineering (all disciplines), Physics, Optics, Chemistry, Nanotechnology, Electronics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology, Environmental Science, Atmospheric Science, Biofuels, Sustainability, and Material Science
One or more of the following will be preferred:
-A postdoctoral/doctoral degree
-A certificate/diploma in academic editing, publishing, scientific communication, journal article writing
-Experience in working with ESL (English as a second language) manuscripts
-Familiarity with the style and conventions followed in academic writing
Job Responsibilities, Copyeditor
You will be required to edit research papers to ensure
• correct sentence structure, word choice, grammar, and punctuation
• conformance to native English standards
• consistency in the use of terminology
– Check the basic format of the manuscript to ensure consistency in layout, presentation of citations, number style representation, etc.
– Format the manuscript as per client specifications (journal guidelines, etc.), if any.
As a copyeditor, your role may not always be restricted to “cleaning copy.” Your may also need to edit heavily (wherever required) to ensure that all awkward/convoluted expressions are eliminated. The final product should be an edit that is error free and faithful to the author’s intended meaning!
Job Responsibilities, Substantive editor
In addition to performing a copyedit, a substantive editor
• makes structural changes, ensuring that the content is well organized and that the tone is appropriate
• drafts a cover letter for the author and provides a short report on the quality of the original document
• revises the document based on the client’s inputs if necessary
Why work with us?
Becoming a Cactus freelance editor will provide you with a platform to apply your domain knowledge and English language skills to enable effective scientific communication. Our rigorous recruitment process ensures that we select only the best editors. Our managing editors, reviewers, and trainers dedicate quality time to ensure that once on board, our freelance editors receive all the information and support they need.
– We screen your CV/resume and check whether your profile meets our requirements.
– We ask you to take a short editing exercise.
– You hear from us within one week of submitting your completed test.
– If selected, we sign a contract and confidentiality agreement with you.
– Once the paperwork is done, you’re on board and we’re set to go.
Note: Since this is a freelance position, job hours are flexible.
Read more about our services, the job requirements, and freelancers here: http://www.cactusglobal.com/joinus/freelance/index.html
Upload your resume and cover letter here: